The foundation stone was laid by Victorian governor George Bowen on 19 February 1879 and it was completed in just 18 months, opening on October 1, 1880, as the Melbourne International Exhibition. We did not go inside and I'm not sure what happens there besides functions. The eastern annexe was partly demolished in the 1950s, and ultimately replaced in 1979 by a mirror-fronted Convention Centre (this was demolished in the 1990s to make way for Melbourne Museum). Over some decades of this period it also held boat shows, car shows and other regular home and building industry shows. The Royal Exhibition is to the north-east of the CBD, it easily accessible by public transport. Royal Exhibition Building Dome Restoration In 1994, Kane completed the $2.5 million€Exhibition Building, Dome Restoration project.  According to Reed, the eclectic design was inspired by many sources. The area had been covered by asphalt in the 1950s for car parking.  In 1948, members of the Melbourne City Council put this to the vote and it was narrowly decided not to demolish the building. The Royal Exhibition Building was the largest design completed by Reed and Barnes. The Melbourne International Exhibition: The Interior Under the Dome, 1880. The world heritage nomination did not progress until the election of the Victorian State Labor Party as the new government in 1999. The Royal Exhibition Building was designed by the architect Joseph Reed of Reed and Barnes architecture, who also designed the Melbourne Town Hall, the State Library of Victoria, and the Baroque style gardens. The Royal Exhibition Building, showing the fountain on the southern or Carlton Gardens side, Last edited on 18 November 2020, at 15:33, Melbourne International Flower and Garden Show, Melbourne Exhibition and Convention Centre, "Royal Exhibition building and Carlton Gardens", "Royal Exhibition Building and Carlton Gardens, World Heritage Management Plan", "Royal Exhibition Building and Carlton Gardens", "The Royal Exhibition Building of "Marvellous Melbourne, "AUSTRALIAN FEDERAL INTERNATIONAL EXHIBITION". Map pins are available via the tab key in a list after the map. The building is one of the world's oldest remaining exhibition pavilions and was originally built for the Great Exhibition of 1880. A frieze shows the products of agriculture and hints at the wealth of the new nation. Nope, this one's set to grace the top level of the World Heritage-listed Royal Exhibition Building, in the heart of Carlton Gardens. The project involved the replacement of external cladding to the dome and restoration of the render, paint work and Victorian cast iron elements. The Royal Exhibition Building is still in use as a commercial exhibition venue, hosting many events on a regular basis such as the Melbourne International Flower and Garden Show. If you book with Tripadvisor, you can cancel up to 24 hours before your tour starts for a full refund.  Throughout the 20th century smaller sections and wings of the building were subject to demolition and fire; however, the main building, known as the Great Hall, survived. On 1 July 2004, the Royal Exhibition Building and Carlton Gardens was granted listing as a World Heritage Site, the first building in Australia to be granted this status. Today, the building hosts various exhibitions and other events and is closely tied with events at the Melbourne Museum. Visitors were now able to visit the building at night; the Melbourne Centennial International Exhibition was the first in the world to have night-time viewings. The building was the site of Australia's first Federal Parliament in 1901. He was also the father of the famed soprano Dame Nellie Melba, who sang at the opening of the Provisional Parliament House in Canberra in 1927.  In 1948, members of the Melbourne City Council put this to the vote and it was narrowly decided not to demolish the building. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu. Over 60 miles of cabling allowed the interior and exterior of the building to be lit.  The Royal Exhibition Building is used as an exam hall for the University of Melbourne, Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology, Melbourne High School, Nossal High School, Mac.Robertson Girls' High School and Suzanne Cory High School. The Royal Exhibition Building is 150 metres (500 feet) long, making itf the largest heritage building in Australia. Photo: Robert Seba, Royal Exhibition Building, Carlton, Victoria, Australia, Corner Nicholson Street and Victoria Parade, Carlton, Victoria, 3053.  The wing of the building which once housed Melbourne Aquarium burnt down in 1953. A wide avenue lined with plane trees links the front, southern entrance of the building with the city beyond. It's part of Museums Victoria's Royal Exhibition Building Protection and Promotion Project, which will bring back to life the sky-high Dome Promenade, a walking platform that circles the dome, the building boasted back in the 1880s. "The Royal Exhibition Building in Melbourne", "The Building: Royal Exhibition Building", "Global status for our greatest building", World heritage listing for the Royal Exhibition Building, Royal Exhibition Building at Museum Victoria, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Royal_Exhibition_Building&oldid=989362807, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, This page was last edited on 18 November 2020, at 15:33. The Royal Exhibition Building was the largest design completed by Reed and Barnes. It is one of the few major nineteenth-century exhibition buildings to survive worldwide.” ", In October 2009, Museum Victoria embarked upon a major project to restore the former German Garden of the Western Forecourt. It was also used during the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s for State High School Matriculation and for the Victorian Certificate of Education examinations, among its various other purposes. The western annexe was demolished in the 1970s. Constructed for the Great Exhibition in the 19th century, this building is of a feat of architecture.  The last remaining original annex, the grand ballroom, was demolished amid controversy in 1979. More recent conservation work allows ongoing use of the building as a major exhibition hall. It ws built in 1879-80 for the Melborne International Exhibition, which was a showpiece for the wealth gold had brought to Victoria. Keep in mind that it may take some time for the Tram to circle back for the return trip. It is one of the few major nineteenth-century exhibition buildings to survive worldwide.  The Great Hall is still in beautiful condition, crowned by an octagonal drum and dome rising 68 metres, and 18.3 metres across. Reedâs was a grand design, influenced by Rundbogenstil, a round-arched architectural style combining elements from Byzantine, Romanesque, Lombardic and Italian Renaissance buildings. In 1902, the building hosted the Australian Federal International Exhibition. As it decayed, it became known derogatively by locals as The White Elephant in the 1940s and by the 1950s, like many buildings in Melbourne of that time it was earmarked for replacement by office blocks. Its an impresssive buidling and is still in frequent use today. Royal Exhibition BuildingMelbourne The Royal Exhibition Building is a World Heritage Site-listed building in Melbourne, Australia, completed in 1880.  In 1996, the then Premier of Victoria, Jeff Kennett, proposed the location and construction of Melbourne's State Museum in the carpark to the north, which involved the demolition of the 1960s annexes in 1997–98. The Royal Exhibition Building is a beautiful sight. Due to the community campaign opposing the museum development, John Brumby, then State opposition leader, with the support of the Melbourne City Council, proposed the nomination of the Royal Exhibition Building for world heritage listing. MyCity The Royal Exhibition Building is still in use as a commercial exhibition venue, hosting many events on a regular basis such as the Melbourne International Flower and Garden Show. The interior decorations changed between the two exhibitions of 1880 and 1888.  During the 1940s and 1950s, the building remained a venue for regular weekly dances. There was a viewing platform around the dome that allowed visitors to survey the progress of the booming city.  Type a minimum of three characters then press UP or DOWN on the keyboard to navigate the autocompleted search results. On the arches are lunettes (half-moon shaped spaces where the arches meet cornices) representing Peace, War, Federation and Government. It became Australia ’s first UNESCO World Heritage listed building in 2004. The world heritage nomination did not progress until the election of the Victorian State Labor Party as the new government in 1999. The first conservation assessment of the building was undertaken by Alan Willingham in 1987, and over the following decades the Great hall was progressively renovated and restored. Such a lovely example of bygone architecture and the growing interest in the wider world in centuries past. This will be a place where history is brought to life, and ideas of the future are expanded upon. Following the outcry over the ballroom demolition, and the appointment of new Trustees and a new Chair in 1983, the heritage of the building began to be seen as important as providing modern space for exhibitions.